[Noisebridge-discuss] "Wikileaks is overloaded by global interest"

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Dec 24 02:48:35 UTC 2009

Christie Dudley wrote:
> So this is probably a message we're getting because (as they tweeted 12
> hours ago) they're still down because of maintenance work by their upstream
> provider.  However, when looking over the page, I was noticing that they're
> soliciting help from the community.  Something specifically caught my eye:
>
> "If you can provide rackspace, power and an uplink, or a dedicated server or
> storage space, for at least 12 months, or software development work for
> WikiLeaks, please write to wl-supporters at sunshinepress.org"
>
> It strikes me that Noisebridge has such resources at our disposal.  I think
> it would be particularly awesome to help out this organization in achieving
> their important mission.  They assure potential volunteers that "Servers
> come trouble-free and legally fortified, software is uniquely challenging.",
> so concerns about liability are pretty much addressed.
>
> (Although that page needs some serious proofreading, particularly in the
> listing of their sponsors, it would be really really awesome to get our name
> up there too.)
>
> What are the people who manage the donated space, etc. think of this?  Would
> we want to get a software group to see if we can help with that end of
> things too?

Hi,

If you're going to be at the Chaos Communications Congress, we'll be
able to talk this over with Wikileaks directly.

Noisebridge has the ability to mirror documents easily. We also have a
lot of smart brains around to hack on software. Wikileaks is serious
about not having to worry about getting a visit or having the machines
exploited. Some of the best hackers in the world helped to build their
infrastructure.

I'd like to openly and positively support Wikileaks. The EFF does it,
why shouldn't we? A few wikileaks people used to hang out on our IRC
channel before it was so worthless; perhaps we'd encourage a return if
we did something good as a group?

Best,
Jake