[Noisebridge-discuss] crackerdojo.com?

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Fri Dec 11 20:16:29 UTC 2009

I'm with Mitch on this. The main thing that brought me to Noisebridge
in the first place was an atmosphere of open, friendly, sharing and
collaboration. I'd hope this attitude could be shared between spaces
as well as within them. If the scene were to be more about rivalry,
competition & who's the most "cool", l33t or whatever, I'd definitely
be spending my time elsewhere.

It's exciting to see so many hackerspaces popping up everywhere.
Why not welcome and encourage each other? So what if each group has
different ways of organizing & doing things, that's to be expected.
Each community will have their own needs & context.

I don't understand why someone would take the time to put together
this "joke". Whois lists a registrant of John Waters and a creation
date of 19-Nov-09 for the crackerdojo.com domain. Is that funny? I
don't think so. My concern is that this type of behavior will only
serve to reflect badly upon us as a community.

John

* Mitch Altman <maltman23 at hotmail.com> [091211 10:59]:
> I got an email from David, the founder of Hacker Dojo, saying that
> he and others at Hacker Dojo felt hurt by a website that is being
> hosted on Pony:
>
> http://www.crackerdojo.com/
>
> I hadn't heard about it till I saw David's email. I checked it
> out, and don't see anything but a poorly formatted version of the
> HackerDojo website. So, it seems that someone took down the other
> stuff. Whatever it was, it doesn't seem to have caused anything
> useful.
>
> Personally, I never understood rivalry (not even as a little kid).
> Maybe the original site for crackerdojo was funny. But if it was at
> the expense of others, then was that cool? Having not seen it, I can
> only go by the hurt feelings that I clearly heard from David.
>
> Hackerspaces have a lot to gain by collaborating. As I travel the
> world, I foster this collaboration at hackerspaces everywhere. It
> is one of the things that I think is totally awesome about the
> community at large that we are creating (In fact, I'm here in
> Singapore at the moment to be on a panel about this!).
>
> I'm not sure what function the crackerdojo site is currently
> serving. It is merely a poor copy of the hackerdojo site. Is it
> worth keeping up on Pony?
>
> Mitch.

John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact