[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] Re: Noisebridge has a (potentially) newcommunication medium: The Noisebridge ning network!

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Dec 21 04:59:59 UTC 2009

Noise Bridge wrote:
> yeah you're right with the whole sales pitch thing. though i have to say i
> think that part of the point was to kinda 'sell' the idea of a new medium to
> the community. i think at some level all ideas need to be 'sold' to an
> audience in one way or another. it just seems like there has been no attempt
> at growth past the current mailing list and IRC channel to provide a place
> for easier communication between the hardcore's and the laymen. i just
> wanted to step forth, make the network, and step back and allow people to
> use it. maybe i should have gone about it more casually. i donno.
>
> i see your point about taking the initiative in adding content instead of
> just the initiative to make the site in the first place. i guess i had hoped
> people wouldn't be so cynical and that i would be able to start contributing
> later after people had started to get into it a little.
>
> with that i've added something i've been thinking about for a while and i'd
> love anyones input on it. i'd also love if you at least tried to discuss it
> on the actual site:
>
> http://noisebridge.ning.com/forum/topics/nb-laser-beacon

I think what you're doing is interesting. I personally wouldn't use such
a forum. I guess if we needed one, we can just run one on Noisebridge
hardware (we probably have better legal help than ning, I guess).

With that said, is there a real demand for a forum? I see one tally in
favor so far? I'd say: "probably for people who like forums but dislike
mailing lists, irc and in person communication."

Though I do have to say - I rather dislike that on the ning site, you
look like you speak for the entire group. Your handle is 'Noise Bridge"
on the ning site - that's not very excellent. The only telltale sign
something is amiss is that you spelled it "Noise Bridge" rather than
Noisebridge. I'm guessing not many people would catch that.

Additionally, I'm not sure that I trust ning with a social network graph
relating to Noisebridge... Why should anyone trust them? Or you? ;-)

All the best from Egypt,
Jake