[Noisebridge-discuss] Organizing electronics shelves and drawers

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Mon Dec 28 09:55:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 08:33:28PM -0800, Kelly wrote:
> I've officially started trying to clean up the electronics corner.  I'll
> probably be working on this on and off for the next week or so.  My main
> skill is organization, so please let me know if you'd like to contribute
> your knowledge of categorizing electronics components.

I'd love to help, alas I'm in Europe until January 9.

One quick comment -- electrolytic capacitors from 20 years ago probably
aren't good anymore, so don't mix ancient caps with ones manufactured
more recently; if we have duplicates of the ancient ones, just throw out
the old stuff.  Please don't throw out unique values, though, even if
they're ancient.  AFAIK other components (resistors, diodes, ICs) should
be shelf-stable out to 50 years, but in general it's probably worthwhile
to keep separate "stuff from the last 10 years" from "stuff old enough
to remember a divided Berlin".

-andy