[Noisebridge-discuss] Bottle crusher and DIY-BIO issues

Praveen Sinha dmhomee at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 23:11:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Meredith L. Patterson
<mlp at thesmartpolitenerd.com> wrote:
> Michael Kan Kan wrote:
>>  However, in the recent issues raised by the DIY-BIO list was turned very
>> ugly with the purchase of controlled and hazardous substances
>
> Uh, no one has purchased any materials covered under the Controlled
> Substances Act (or the Analog Act, or on the list of watched
> substances). All biological materials are BSL1 and the only chemistry in
> the kit is ampicillin, which is hazardous to people who are allergic to
> it (so *nobody drink the ampicillin*, k?).

I agree, let's please not overreact either way.  There is nothing
horrible about any of the substances being talked about -- the only
debates have been over safety because we are already being
overparanoid.   There is not a zero risk to the things that have been
talked but about, but there is more like a %.00001 percent risk  which
is exactly what /most/ people in diy bio are talking about in terms of
safety protocols to eliminate.

Love and Peace,
Praveen