[Noisebridge-discuss] Space viewing report: 2169 Mission

Jeffrey Malone ieatlint at tehinterweb.com
Sat Jul 11 05:03:42 UTC 2009

Apparently at least one person was concerned that my email was
suggesting something bad about this potential space.

In truth, I think it looks fucking awesome from everything I know.

By listing the two points I did, I was simply commenting on criticism I'd heard.
Firstly, the floors.  I don't see any problem with them -- clearly
they're going to do their job well, and noise complaints are extremely
unlikely to be an issue.  Additionally, over 3 years we'll destroy
just about any floor.  At this at this place, we'll save so much on
rent that it won't be quite as bad in fixing them later.
Truly, not an issue.

As for the crime -- it's the fucking Mission.  6 incidents over 30
days is nothing.  We've all seen people getting arrested around
Noisebridge (and for some of us, in front of Noisebridge).  My
comments on it were meant to point this out -- 6 crimes that had
minimal violence is nothing, and the severe one I mentioned on Capp st
was in the middle of the night on an empty street.
Seriously, I don't see crime as an issue.  I brought it up so that
everything is on the table and people can see it.
If you feel that the crime rate looks high, talk to me.  We can go
over how dangerous 83c is according to the same maps, and how
dangerous the other proposed locations are -- they're ALL ON PAR
really, and no one's been attacked/hurt/mugged/etc yet. 99% of all the
crime is drug related, or theft from cars.

So yeah, I fully support everything I've heard about this space yet.
Just trying to get any criticisms that could be brought up addressed
as quickly as possible so that when the decision time comes close, we
don't hang on it.

Oh, and Sai, the timing is ASAP as with any realty.  The later you
wait, the chance of someone else taking it increases.  The question of
how long can we wait isn't on that needs to be asked.  The question is
if it's the right place (looking good on that), and then how quickly
we can get consensus and respond.
The quickest is July 21... and I think we should aim to hit that
unless any *serious* concerns come up.

Jeffrey