[Noisebridge-discuss] Space viewing report: 2169 Mission

Geoff Schmidt geoff at geoffschmidt.com
Mon Jul 13 05:16:20 UTC 2009

On Jul 12, 2009, at 11:55 PM, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> There is a freight elevator which goes from the street-level "lobby"
> the third floor.  I don't know if it will comply with the letter of
> the
> law on ADA issues, but I do believe it will be practically useable to
> enable weelchair users to access the third floor.

A freight elevator is definitely not sufficient for ADA. In fact, ADA
aside, you're not supposed to let passengers into your freight
elevators as they are inspected and certified to a different set of
standards. The impact on Noisebridge probably has to do with public
events and worst-case insurance scenarios.

Freight elevator maintenance is by all accounts a pain in the ass and
creates drama between landlords and tenants. Usually either the
landlord pays a monthly fee for a maintenance contract with an
elevator servicer, or the lease stipulates that the tenant will hold
and pay for such a contract. Since 2169 is a multitenant building it
will presumably be the former, but add it to the negotiation punch list.

geoff