[Noisebridge-discuss] Space viewing report: 2169 Mission

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Mon Jul 13 06:13:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 01:26:10AM -0400, Geoff Schmidt wrote:
> I've not been to 2169, but freight elevators typically have an up
> button and a down button inside the cab. The elevator moves as long as
> you hold the button. The doors are often manually operated. Aligning
> the elevator with the floor is your responsibility, as is opening and
> closing the door, though there is usually a safety interlock that
> prevents the elevator from moving if a door is open. Otherwise you are
> presumed to know what you're doing.

Yep, your description matches most freight elevators of my experience.

The elevator at 2169 is basically as you described except that the
control panel has buttons for each floor; once the elevator has started
moving you can let go of the button and it takes care of aligning with
the target floor (well, within a 2" margin at least).  The doors are
manually operated and will gladly pinch off your finger if you let it.

-andy