[Noisebridge-discuss] Space viewing report: 2169 Mission

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Mon Jul 13 05:30:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Geoff Schmidt<geoff at geoffschmidt.com> wrote:
> I've not been to 2169, but freight elevators typically have an up button and
> a down button inside the cab. The elevator moves as long as you hold the
> button. The doors are often manually operated. Aligning the elevator with
> the floor is your responsibility, as is opening and closing the door, though
> there is usually a safety interlock that prevents the elevator from moving
> if a door is open. Otherwise you are presumed to know what you're doing.

Interesting. I thought they were all made automatic by now; except in
_Being John Malkovich_-esque situations, manual control seems useless.
(FWIW, I prefer to drive stickshift. It just seems inapropos.)

I'm guessing that the upgrade to make something like this is at the
least highly regulated - IIRC the elevator union has a solid monopoly
around here. I do wonder how hard it'd be to hack, though.

> They can be a good place to take a date.

It'd certainly be a cheap and ... unusual date, at the least. :-P

- Sai