[Noisebridge-discuss] unannounced groups of non-members at Noisebridge (esp. kids)

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Jun 1 23:33:49 UTC 2009

Al Billings wrote:
> On 6/1/09 4:17 PM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
>
>> When we give out keys to people we trust, those same people have
>> expressed being filled with respect and admiration for our openness.
>> Many of those people are either now members in good standing or people
>> who often visit us from out of town.
>>

> I would say that individual members give out keys to people that those
> individual members trust. Personally, I wouldn't hand a key to anyone
> that isn't a member. I never have and I wouldn't feel right doing so.
> That's just me (seriously).

That's just what I suggested. Though I have previously suggested we put
a copy of the key on the website, if you can mill your own key, come on
down!

> We've always been pretty fast and loose with keys (I got mine before
> there was a real consensus on stuff even) but I do find it potentially
> worrisome that we have no idea, as a group, of who has keys to the space
> given all of the stuff in it. I'm not losing sleep over it since I don't
> keep things there but it is a concern.

I acknowledge your concern. However, I think we're focusing on a weird
tangent that suggests keys are the main way that a thief will work
amongst us. Yes, we've (myself especially) always been moderately fast
and loose with who has a key. But please do remember that the locks are
a security lie. They're trivial locks to pick or to bump. The door is
easy to bash in too. The lock has been picked by many people, the key
copied by even more.

A list of 150-200 people who may have a key is probably not useful to
Noisebridge. I bet more than a number of members would be doubleplus
unhappy about such a list, myself included. It has a chilling effect
without much of a return, I think.

Do we really need a list of names to tell us that any crackhead on the
street can bump that lock with a rubber mallet?

Really, I think the concern is valid but attempted control of the keys
seems to accomplish very little...

Best,
Jake