[Noisebridge-discuss] Keys

Ani Niow v at oneletterwonder.com
Tue Jun 2 00:00:58 UTC 2009

Can I also say that I've been a bit uncomfortable with the idea and practice
of handing out keys to non-members ever since I knew about it? Its not so
much about the security issues of a lock which can be easily picked as we
all are aware but the symbology of trusting someone enough to let them use
our space whenever they please without having to have someone else let them
in.
If someone has a key then I know they're a member and has been deemed
awesome by the group to become a part of us, if anyone can give anyone a key
that makes that distinction more difficult. I know I've had friends before
that I thought were alright but many of my other friends didn't.

This also brings into question, what are the actual benefits to membership?
>From what I've been able to gather, you get to block consensus (oh boy) and
contribute to keep the space going. The list on the wiki of member benefits
doesn't seem to be all that accurate in practice.
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/New_Member_FAQ

-Ani