[Noisebridge-discuss] viewing report: oddfellows basement

Geoff Schmidt geoff at geoffschmidt.com
Sat Jun 20 14:21:18 UTC 2009

Once upon a time I had some servers colocated in the basement of a
friend with a T1. It had some occasional water issues, but nothing
like 6", and he'd put in a pump. The servers seemed OK there for a
while, but then they developed stability issues, which I traced back
to some kind of slight corrosion on either the DIMM sockets or the
DIMMs.

This happened to several machines, and did not happen to other,
similar machines that were not in the basement. The machines weren't
on the floor and there is no indication they got wet, so I assume the
problem was high humidity. Caution is advised.

geoff