[Noisebridge-discuss] Interest in info session re Scientology?

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Sun Jun 28 05:25:20 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Jacob Appelbaum<jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:
> If you're interested in *promoting* Scientology or the Church of
> Scientology at Noisebridge, I'd like to be the first to step up and ask
> you to please not do that.

I assure you that anyone offering to display the Fishman deposition is
not pro-CoS. I presume you haven't seen it, as it's extremely obvious
once you have; although I suppose someone who's rabidly into CoS might
agree with the stuff he says, they'd not want "raw meat" to see it
because that'd be "out-grade" and therefore "out-ethics", i.e. a
Scientological crime.

> If you're out to inform the community of the insanity that is the Church
> of Scientology, please by all means, carry on and disregard my email.

My intention is to be informative of their actual practices and
beliefs, in ways that people who've only superficially perused
Xenu.net (e.g. maybe just read the OT3 stuff about Xenu) will not have
understood.

Personally I find it abhorrent, but in hacker spirit, I believe that
information is its own end, and that given accurate, reasonably
comprehensive information about something people can make up their own
minds. CoS promoters would not do so, because they believe in
introducing concepts only very gradually and once people have paid for
it; indoctrination is much easier to do one step at a time.

I do not particularly believe in either proselytization or
anti-proselytization, as IME both are problematic and
counter-productive.

- Sai