[Noisebridge-discuss] Tonight: DJing and Music Composition on Linux (BALUG)

Jesse Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 22:44:01 UTC 2009

Noted local 8-bit musician Jordan Gray (aka Starpause) will be giving a talk
and demo tonight of open source DJ and tracker software (cross-platform,
not just for Linux) at the Four Seas banquet hall in Chinatown (731
Grant).  The presentation is at 8, or come by 7 to get dinner with the
BALUG folks.

http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/1897868/

Have you ever wanted to learn beat-mixing or electronic music
composition? Want to get started with software that's completely free
and community-based? Join us for an evening with STARPAUSE (aka Jordan
Gray), chiptune producer and founder of the Mp3Death (Creative
Commons) netaudio label. Jordan will cover the basics of DJing and
introduce you the free open-source MIXXX digital DJ software. Then
we'll move on to tracker-based music composition using
LittleGPTracker, which Jordan will demonstrate both on laptop and the
Game Park handheld. LittleGPTracker is free and designed especially
for 8-bit (GameBoy-style) music. Both software run on the free Linux
operating system (Mac and Windows also available).

"DJing and Music Composition on Linux" is hosted by the Bay Area Linux
User Group (BALUG), a lively gathering of Linux users & free software
enthusiasts that combines great food, community & intimate access to
featured speakers. We meet in the bar of the Four Seas Restaurant in
Chinatown at 6:30pm. At 7, we share a family-style Chinese dinner,
followed by our guest speaker at 8, then late-night drinking at the Li
Po Lounge. The talk at 8 is always completely free. If you would like
to join us for the dinner, please come early and bring $13. It would
also be great if you could RSVP us (rsvp at balug.org) so we'll have an
idea how much food to order.

Transit:

>From Montgomery BART, walk or take the 15. From Powell BART, walk or
take the 30/45. From Nob Hill / Western Addition / Richmond take the
1.

Easy $5 parking: Portsmouth Square Garage at 733 Kearny