[Noisebridge-discuss] noise at noisebridge

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 1 22:01:03 UTC 2009

One of the (several) explicit goals at the outset of Noisebridge was to have a space where people could come to hang out, to create a geek community space.  Lots of people don't have projects in mind that they want to play with or work on, and coming to a space where there are people already working and playing on projects can be a great inspiration and motivation for others.

Balancing all of this has its challenges.  We certainly don't want a space where it is only allowed to work on projects without talking to one another.  And we don't simply want a hangout space, where few people feel comfortable working and playing on their projects.  And I don't think we want a space where everyone is wearing headphones and not open to communication with anyone else in the space.  It seems to me that hanging out and working and playing aren't mutually exclusive of one another.  We do need to remember to be excellent to one another.  To me that means respecting one another.  And respecting one another's boundaries.  For instance, if someone is busy playing or working on their project, I would hope that it would be fine to ask them if it's OK to ask them a question, or if it's OK to talk to them.  And I would also hope that it is fine to answer, nicely, "no."

We do need to keep in mind that not all of us geeks have the greatest social skills.  So, if someone is seeming bothersome, it's probably not because they're purposely trying to be annoying.  If you're feeling annoyed by someone in the space, it is up to you to let them know (as obvious as it is to each of us when we're feeling annoyed, others can't read our minds, so we have to let them know).  And it should be possible to do this while being excellent to one another.  No need to be mean or a jerk about it.  Like, maybe:  e.g., "I'm sorry, but I'm trying to get some work done, and can't talk now."  So far that's worked very well for me.

On the other hand, one of the reasons I love being at Noisebridge is to help others with their projects, or to inspire others to explore what they may want to work on or play with.  I realize that's not everyone's desire or role.  And we all have different desires for what we want out of Noisebridge.  I hope we can respect all of each others' desires and goals and roles.

Mitch.