[Noisebridge-discuss] Thursday science night ?

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 07:42:55 UTC 2009

I do like the idea of having a night where people can explore "science on
the cheap" engaging in interesting projects from common materials.  To me,
this is the most basic form of hacking.  Perhaps you could have "theme"
nights so you could focus on a specific area of science or engineering each
time and people can be prepared.

Christie

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 4:26 PM, John Magolske <listmail at b79.net> wrote:

> * Michael Kan Kan <michaelkan_kan at yahoo.com> [090312 09:08]:
> > It seems that besides Aestetix's " Five minutes of fame ", there
> > seems that Thursday evenings are free.
> > Can I host a " Science and engineering night " to have an open
> > discussion and demo/ experimenting session?
> >
> > I have some good demo stuff with some that could be donated to
> > Noisebridge.
> >
> > The general science and engineering could serve as a clearing house
> > for forming new or joining groups here and abroad.
>
> This sounds like a great idea, could you provide a few examples of
> stuff you'd like to demo? I can see this being an umbrella under which
> a variety of things could happen, as science and engineering covers
> quite a lot of ground.
>
> One thought that comes to mind is that Thursdays could be the other
> night (in addition to Tues meeting night) that folks would know to
> stop by NB to get a sense of what's going on. It looks like FMoF was
> a big success, so it seems like a series of Thurs events filling out
> the rest of the month, but with different structures (longer that 5
> minutes, maybe multiple presentations going on simultaneously science
> faire style, instructables irl...) could work out well. With the same
> idea of being open to the wide range of what people are working on &
> interested in.
>
> On a personal note, Thursdays work well for me, as it's the only
> weeknight other than Friday where I'm not having to catch an early
> train the following morning :)
>
> John
>

> --
> John Magolske