[Noisebridge-discuss] openeeg

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Tue Mar 17 21:00:11 UTC 2009

Judging by some of this traffic, I think people have misconsceptions
regarding EEGs and would do well to read up on it a bit. EEGs are not
a "brain jack." You are not going to control anything reliably, and
even detecting anything is hard. (Yes, you've seen the monkey move the
robot arm video. That's not EEG: that measured specific neural regions
using electrodes inserted through a hole in the skull.)

At best, you can measure the energy in the various bands (alpha, beta,
etc.) with pro EEG gear and (lots of) good electrodes. How and whether
this correlates with particular mental activities or emotions is still
an open research question. With practice, you can likely change your
alpha/beta ratio but it's going to take the better part of a minute if
you can do it at all.  And noise and muscle movements (e.g. blinking)
will give you 10x the signal of anything going on in the brain.

I don't mean to say that this isn't an excellent thing to be
interested in or to hack on, just that it's much easier to get your
expectations up than it is to get anything actually working -- see
Emotiv as an example of hype vs. reality.

Art projects using the EEG like Kal's robot or the Monochrom drink
machine are cool and fun, but they basically use EEG as a glorified
random noise source. It would be excellent to do something better.