[Noisebridge-discuss] FW: [Fwd: FW from Eva Meyers: ExCEL Request for Proposals 2009-2010]

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Thu Mar 26 04:34:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 08:40:00PM -0700, Mitch Altman wrote:

> This may be an interesting opportunity for Noisebridge -- one that actually pays money.
>

> I received the email today, copied below, from the SF Unified School District.  They are looking for people who are willing to teach kids in after school programs.  They also pay people (not insignificantly -- see the example budget on our wiki, for which I give a link, below).
>

> We could get a group of people who are wanting to teach kids various subjects, and create a curriculum.  Some of the money could go to Noisebridge, and some to the teachers.
>

> Thoughts?

Good find, Mitch!

I'm not sure if this will result in a useful amount of cash though:

  "While limited funds do exist to pay for programming, ExCEL ASP is
  requesting proposals from organizations that could provide free or
  reduce-priced enrichment programming, staff, and/or training at
  schools during non-school hours."

  "When considering partners, we are particularly looking for the
  following budget considerations:
   * In-Kind Services or Materials provided
   * Matching Funds provided"

That being said, I helped a little with an electronics training
program back in school:

  http://www-ieee.eecs.berkeley.edu/hope/

(The University no longer requires you to know which side of the
soldering iron to hold to get an EE degree, and some of us had a bit
of a problem with this.)

It would be pretty easy for me to crib from the old lesson plan and
put something together for these kids one hour M-F, but I'm not sure
if we're going to end up with the best bid once I take all the
expenses into account.