[Noisebridge-discuss] New Jukebox and ReBar machine.

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Wed May 20 09:14:50 UTC 2009

The old Jukebox server located next to the greeter machine is rather
large and old. One of the fan's been making a really annoying sound
lately, the web interface for playing music has been broken every time
that I used it, and it was also drawing a ton of power for just playing
music through the shell. The power and loud fan issues also applies to
Donkey, the machine that was used to drive the monitor in the kitchen
for the Reverse Engineering Bar.

The new machine is called Zebra! A Mac Mini G4 running Debian Lenny,
really quiet and small. It drives the monitor in the kitchen for the
ReBar and also is hooked up to the speakers in the space. It's running
MPD and reading all of the music off of Pony. To play music, simply get
on the wifi here and log into the web interface...

Desktop - http://pony.noise/juke
Mobile - http://pony.noise/juke/m

There's an icon on the desktop of the greeter machine that's linked to
the web interface. If you like a shell to play music, SSH login info is
printed on a sheet stuck above the window to the shop next to the whole
setup. If you need a particular application installed on the machine
please ping me. I'm still figuring out how to refresh the music database
when new stuff is added. If you'd like to just connect directly to the
MPD instance check the updated wiki page for more info...

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Music

I've added printed labels to the front and back of the receiver
indicating which inputs are for what. Airtunes and the Jukebox still
share the same input. There is also a spare AUX cable with a 1/8" jack
attached and labeled. All of these are ziptied to the back of the
receiver, please don't fuck with them, there's zero need to.

The home directory from the old Jukebox server is backed up onto pony,
/d1/backup-old-jukebox-home/ .

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net