[Noisebridge-discuss] New place locator

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed May 6 19:35:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 12:03:52PM -0700, munkeyfreenix batcat wrote:
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:
> > > Re: Google -- why not use the nb servers to run mapserver and have
> > > our own GIS. its open source, and we can run GRASS GIS inside it
> > > as well if we're feeling ambitious, script with pywps and we have
> > > something really cool to build upon. then we could get
> > > multispectral satellite photos and find location by the best
> > > frequency spectrum. that was a joke. kind of.
> > >
> > > Re: building a barrier - it doesn't have to slide, and in fact we
> > > could get some sound board and plywood and make little sandwiches,
> > > mount them with some heavy duty hinges and a pulley so that they
> > > can be pulled down and latched to the railing, or opened.
> >
> > These are great ideas!  I look forward to your implementation of them.
>
> Setting up a gis for noisebridge would be great and easy. creating the vm
> right now to develop. I've been wanting to work on a gis server for awhile.

Awesome!  I'm really glad to see interesting projects happen. :)

> As of now, I'm not a member, and while I'd be more than happy to bring

We get a *lot* of people who are really excited to suggest ideas, and
even a fair number of people who are looking for someone to tell them
what to do in fairly minute detail.  The part that we're missing is the
people in the middle -- people who are interested in a project and
devote time to making the infrastructure and planning happen.

So I'm really happy to see people doing the grunt work on making
projects start, and I'll continue to gently poke fun at people who have
grand ideas but "no time to make them happen".  (And I'm as guilty of
that as the next guy...)

(I'm restraining myself from suggesting that we need Project Managers.
Bad word!  Bad word!  Naughty hacker!  No 0day^Wcookie for you!)

-andy