[Noisebridge-discuss] Journey rocked.

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 02:28:53 UTC 2009

Hello!

As a runner in the event and subsequent Noisebridge member at the party, I
definitely second the successful feeling of outreach that occurred.  Lots of
curiosity and positive feedback, lots of interest in Noisebridge as an
outlet for learning, experimenting, and teaching.

In events going forward, I think some attention should be paid to making
sure event organizers -- anyone, even if they are Noisebridgers themselves
-- understand the constraints of Noisebridge as a 501c3 organization and the
operating principles regarding outright sale of alcohol and other food and
drink (i.e. we can't), conditional provision of alcohol to people (i.e. we'd
better be carding -- ABC does troll events looking for infractions), and
more mundane but obviously consequential processes like where trash goes,
who's allowed to go where, and what to be on the lookout for (e.g. people
heading for the fire escape ladder when there is no apparent fire).

Teaching people how to behave in the roles they play as event organizers
doesn't cost more than the 15 minutes it takes to write a page's worth of
clear guidelines, print them out, and make sure people read them.  But the
return on investment, i.e. not getting shut down or put under scrutiny, is
pretty worthwhile.

The SF0 party at Noisebridge was cool.  In the event of another
end-of-marathon party at Noisebridge, may I suggest a huge tank of water and
drinking vessels be placed near the door, the first thing people reach when
they walk in, with a nice big donation jar nearby?  :)

--Naomi

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 3:00 AM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:

> Ok, time for a bit of an update. Our Halloween Journey thing was great!
>
> We had a large number of new faces showing up at the space not knowing
> what it was, getting the elevator talk, then asking how does one become
> a member. I had three different people come up to me and ask about
> teaching classes in the space. All in all I think we had around 300
> fresh people came through our doors.
>
> Many folks were impressed on how clean a "hacker collective" of such
> size was. Woot, keep up the good work keeping your hacker space clean!
>
> SF0 was extremely appreciative of us allowing them the use of
> Noisebridge as the end location to their crazy game of street tag. Many
> Noisebridge members were extremely tired and sore after playing through
> the length of SF0's crazy game of street tag. If you played the game
> please reply back here with some of your takes on it!
>
> We never got around to playing a single cyberpunk movie, including Blade
> Runner.
>
> Jeffrey collected a shit ton of donations via a tip jar near our drinks
> fridge. Andy collected a bunch of donations via a tip jar near our
> t-shirts booth.
>
> Noisebridge hosted a flash mob set from The Star Wars Cantina Band...
>
> http://qik.com/video/3401604
> http://laughingsquid.com/star-wars-cantina-band-street-corner-serenade/
>
> Ian, Jackie, Sean and Sam of SF0 came by earlier in the day and helped
> clean up and organize the space a bunch. The mess of Noisebridge build
> out crap that was against the wall across from the shop doorway was
> consolidated and given homes. They also came by today (Sunday) to deal
> with trash and sweep+mop our floors. As of 1800, Noisebridge was
> resorted back into a very usable space. I also feel it was the cleanest
> it had ever been in over a month or so.
>
> John looks good with long hair, Andy looks good in a skirt. I look weird.
>
> --
> Rubin Abdi
> rubin at starset.net

Naomi Theora Most