[Noisebridge-discuss] MonkeyBrains donates a new uplink to Noisebridge

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Sat Nov 28 02:15:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Ani Niow <v at oneletterwonder.com> wrote:
> The original fibre plan is not going to happen anymore because of the fact
> that we're using Monkeybrains now. The members behind the original effort
> are not going to pursue this any further because we're (publicly) supporting
> a company that is risking their efforts on getting high speed internet
> access for all, not just Noisebridge. How can I be constructive and aid a
> project that is no longer active because we basically steamrolled their
> efforts?

I guess I'm super-confused now, and I think some of that may be
because everyone is sensitive to not wanting to speak for others, but
want to speak out nonetheless.

Here is what I know:

1. Monkeybrain offers us a connection.
2. They come to do a site inspection, and then instead of doing a site
inspection say "why don't we put up the hardware anyway, while we're
here -- it's $300"
3. Andy paid the $300.

I know this stuff because it was made public on the list, and at the meeting.

Ani mentions some stuff that I didn't know:

1. Some people think that monkeybrains can't make this offer legally.
2. Some people have been working with the city to provide us a fiber
link, which would in their opinion be more legitimate.
3. Now that the monkeybrains equipment is installed, the people in 2
are stopping their work.

None of this was public before the list.

I'm worried about 1, just because it means that our monkeybrain (MB)
connection may go away. I can't really see that it will provide as
with legal liability, especially at this point, when we haven't signed
any contract with MB. I would like this discussed further at a
meeting. It would be great if a representative of MB was there, and
somebody who believes 1 to be the case. I'd like some concrete
evidence on either side.

I'm also worried about 2. I appreciate people doing this work, but I
would like to know more information from them directly. If it is so
confidential that they cannot speak publically about it, their work
seems to conflict so profoundly with how NB works that I don't really
see how it could have panned out well. If the secrecy was necessary
because of the tentative nature of the agreement -- that it could not
be mentioned on this mailing list, or in a meeting -- it seems like it
would be so tentative that really NB, as a group, can have no real
opinion about it. I think the risk of planning something for NB
without actually discussing it through Noisebridge's public discussion
channels is that you will be beaten by someone else doing it first. I
don't see that there is a way around this, though it only would affect
deals where you cannot publically discuss them in advance.

Finally, point 3. I would like more explanation as to why they are
stopping. Is it because we are tarred by Monkeybrain's bad reputation
within this group? Within whatever part of the city makes these
directions? Simply because we now have a fast connection? Because they
do not want to be part of NB any longer? Because their warnings about
MB were ignored by specific individuals? This part is particularly
confusing to me.

My own point of view, at this point, is to support the MB connection,
because it exists, because I have no evidence of their guilt, and
because I know very little of this other process that was going on in
the background.

I'd like to make these other people feel more comfortable with
Noisebridge, and if that means making the process more explicit to
prevent future confusion, or give people avenues to block or announce
their ongoing work in a more anonymous way, I would support that.