[Noisebridge-discuss] Consensus and the "old ways".

jim jim at well.com
Tue Oct 6 05:28:42 UTC 2009

   could you please summarize your questions so i
don't have to go back and try to find (all of) them?
thanks.

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 20:13 -0700, Crutcher Dunnavant wrote:
> Given that the consensus process requires only those present at one
> particular meeting to agree to a thing in order to apply it;
JS: not necessarily true

>  at what point does an existing decision become un-tenable? How many
> people must disagree in the future before a decision can be reversed?
> All of them at a new meeting?
JS: good to have examples of problems. no way to answer the above
in the abstract.

> There are clearly members who do not agree with the consensus process.
JS: and those who do agree, even prefer. me: i think there are
lots of groups with voting process; having a consensus process
provides an opportunity to hack the process: improve it (there
are lots of variations). why do some members not agree with the
consensus process?

> As a practical matter, how many of us do you feel would be sufficient
> to change it? Do you feel we would need to justify the change by the
> old process, or the new? Would a single hold-out be sufficient to
> block a transition to a voting system? Would this individual hold
> sufficient moral authority?
JS: please begin with a specific criticism of consensus.

> It has been said during this discussion that a willingness to have
> one's mind changed is a necessary contribution to the process. I don't
> object to that, but I feel it goes both ways. I'd like some actual
> feedback on my questions, they are not rhetorical. What would be
> sufficient to convince? What would be sufficient to change?
JS: please summarize your questions.