[Noisebridge-discuss] Consensus and the "old ways".

Crutcher Dunnavant crutcher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 07:12:05 UTC 2009

Jim. I feel you are trolling me. You've asked for a summary of, what, 3
short paragraphs? But as demonstration that I am not trolling, I'll answer.
First, Noisebridge exists to serve its community. But that community changes
with time. It is conceivable that some large fraction of the community could
decide that they wanted to remain engaged, but alter the decision making
process.

There seems to be a general rejection, amongst certain parties, of the
notion that we could legitimately reject consensus. I'd like to state that I
don't feel that decision making processes have either rights or moral
obligations - I reserve those for people.

As to my specific objection to consensus processes in general, I have
several. This is a (non-exhaustive) listing of them.

I feel that they are structurally biased towards enforcement and propagation
of the will of the founding oligarchy of any group; and have the assumption
of no-change, essentially giving any surviving member veto power to maintain
decisions which they feel benefit them.

I feel that engagement is not an accurate proxy for wisdom; having more time
to burn, or being more personally confrontational should not translate to
greater control of the space.

I feel that this notion of 'do-ocracy' translates to enforcement by the mob,
as determined by the existing social oligarchy (most of who I like a great
deal).

I feel that, rather than 'hacking the system', this delegation to social
bickering has the effect of reifying our primate decision making processes;
as most decisions aren't made in an official capacity, but rather by those
that hold sway.

In short (ha-ha), I believe that consensus processes _in_general_ represent
a moral hazard, one which grows more dangerous and pernicious with the
growth of the group in size and age; until we begin to see, as we have
recently, calls for expulsion.

I am a member. I like the people. I like the space. I believe, and have a
good deal of political, intellectual, and anecdotal experience to back up
those beliefs; that the consensus process is bad for us, as a group, and as
individuals.

I would like to change to a voting system. _any_ voting system. You want 2/3
majority, with mandatory re-ratification after a 2 week cooling-off period
for all decisions? I'd love that. We'd get more done, and have fewer pogroms
about proper politics.