[Noisebridge-discuss] deep crack announcement .. tax issue/

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Fri Oct 9 00:36:42 UTC 2009

Jonathan Foote wrote:
> Used to work on ITAR stuff in grad school (advanced semi
> manufacturing, go figure). Foreign grad students (and professors) were
> specifically forbidden access.
>
> from http://epic.org/crypto/export_controls/itar.html:
>
> "Export means, for purposes of this subchapter:
> (d) Disclosing or transferring technical data to a foreign person, whether
> in the United States or abroad"

When was that?

It appears to me that simply being near the machine will not cross that
legal threshold. I asked the EFF for clarification on this specific issue.

I would also like to personally note that I really dislike ITAR at this
moment in time. Probably even more than during the cryptowars!

Best,
Jake