[Noisebridge-discuss] Want to wire the middle east?

jim jim at well.com
Sat Oct 10 17:01:42 UTC 2009

   there's a (very) local effort to provide OLPC XO
laptops to home schooling programs in rural afghan
areas. carol ruth silver is a well-known local
politician who's running this program. web site is
http://www.afghan-satellite-teachers.net/

   donations and volunteer help needed. project
includes:
* pilot program in afghanistan, working with locals
* localization of operating system and activity
  software in Dari and Pashto
* development of educational software, including games
* development of video, possibly multi-media programs
* demonstration of XO systems coming very soon

   she is in the process of changing from windows to
open source software, specifically ubuntu. current
task is to move email from open office to evolution,
including moving contacts as well as setting up
blackberry contact integration.
   also redoing office network wiring to improve
access to network equipment.