[Noisebridge-discuss] MakerBeams

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Thu Oct 15 19:39:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Sam Putman <atmanistan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I wanted to introduce myself and a project I'm working on. I'm Sam
> Putman, I used to live at the Cakebread Castle so I know a number of
> you: Ian, Jake, Nicole, Audrey and Qarly to stick to people I've
> actualy lived with.
>
> Anyway, I'm working on a hackworthy project, and I wanted to let you
> know about it. It's called Makerbeam htpp://makerbeam.com, and it's an
> open-source component project. There's a lot of info on the site, and
> more here at Evil Mad Scientist:
>
> http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/makerbeam

Makerbeam reminds me of the Berkeley SCM project:

  http://robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu/%7Eronf/PAPERS/ahoover-icra08.pdf

The hexapod on your page also reminds me of the SCM based DASH robot
that made the rounds in popular science news recently:

  http://spectrum.ieee.org/blog/robotics/robotics-software/automaton/dash-hexapedal-cockroach-inspired-robot

Just between you, me, and this mailing list, I would have named it the
Berkeley Exoflexiton Autonomous Robot so I could say Go BEARs!  Oh
well.