[Noisebridge-discuss] Cleaning up - a solution

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Fri Oct 16 19:27:48 UTC 2009

Christie Dudley wrote, On 20091016 093845:
> We've already discussed exchanging maid service for membership dues
> several months back.  There are legal issues that prevent this.  We
> would have to pay someone, then they give us that money as dues.

Hi, actually what was brought up was "exchanging services for membership
dues." There were actually more reasons why the group has not been in
favor of this both times it's been brought up at meetings...

1. We don't want to have to rate how much work is worthy of paying for
one's membership dues.
2. We don't want a situation where the group grants member Bob
permission to work X number of hours to pay for their dues and then have
member Joe perk up and say they've been doing twice as much work for the
space for the past few months and would like to be granted such
privilege and "back pay" for all that.
3. No one wants do deal with a situation where a member working in the
space paying off their dues isn't doing a good job.
4. And as Christie has pointed out, yes a whole bunch of legal issues.

I do attest that all I did was skim through most of your email. If you
feel like you're request to exchange man hours for paying off your dues
is slightly different then what I described, I recommend bringing this
up for discussion at our next meeting. Thanks.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net