[Noisebridge-discuss] Open Source Bicycle Computer...

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Sun Oct 18 17:48:28 UTC 2009

I'm pretty sure bike computers use Hall effect sensors to
(contactlessly) sense wheel revolutions.
They are cheap and very easy to interface with
microprocessors/arduinos. They have three wires: power, ground, and
output signal, which gives you a clean logic pulse when a magnet
(affixed to the wheel hub) is in proximity. It takes very little
power. Here's one I've used successfully at 2.8V:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=MLX90248ESECT-ND

Similar sensors come in a TO-92 package if that's easier to work with.

Also consider interfacing with a GPS module, which are relatively
inexpensive and pretty simple to talk to over a serial line.