[Noisebridge-discuss] Open Source Bicycle Computer...

dpc weasel at meer.net
Sun Oct 18 22:16:45 UTC 2009

Jonathan Foote <jtfoote at ieee.org> writes:

> I'm pretty sure bike computers use Hall effect sensors to
> (contactlessly) sense wheel revolutions.

yep. the magnets/sensors are all basically standardized now. the mount
to the computer is what differs.

> Also consider interfacing with a GPS module, which are relatively
> inexpensive and pretty simple to talk to over a serial line.

there's an 'open' standard called ant+ taht a lot of sports 'monitor'
bits use these days. i think it started w/ garmin, but they've gotten
most of the other people (at least in cycling) to sign-on.

  http://www.thisisant.com/products/data-sheets-brochures

seems to be the jumping off point.

\p

---
Plan to throw one away. You will do that, anyway. Your only choice is
whether to try to sell the throwaway to customers. - Frederick Brooks