[Noisebridge-discuss] Engels/Rangers or whatever

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 20:59:26 UTC 2009

More reasons not to appoint angels, given the circumstances:

In answer to the question "Who becomes one?" there are 2 possible answers:
1) People who are around more.  They have investment because mess impacts
them more.
 - The flaw with this is, it potentially creates a 2-tier system where those
who are around the space more have authority over those who aren't.  I think
we can all see where this is going.
2) Fully randomized.  Everyone does a turn at being a cop*:
- We have people who are seldom in the space, thus not getting the job done.
- There will potentially be pressure for people to show up to the space more
during their turn.  This particularly bothers me, as it establishes "being
in the space" as an onerous task, something that I don't want to promote
amongst people who don't have as much time.

Even if I thought this was a good idea, I don't believe it could work as
intended.

Christie

*If you disagree with my assessment of this role as being a cop, ask me
sometime about my family's run-ins with the local conservation officer.
---
Pigs can fly given sufficient thrust.
    - RFC 1925