[Noisebridge-discuss] how to deal with abandoned beverage containers

jim jim at well.com
Sun Oct 18 21:20:33 UTC 2009

i disagree.

   the idea is to make it simple for people to clean
up. there's a problem with cups, cans, and bottles
that have liquids in them: disposing of them requires
a walk to a sink or tossing them as-is into a garbage
container, which makes a soggy mess of the garbage.
   if an appropriate container is "right there", it's
an easy disposal; the greater the inconvenience, no
matter how trivial or childish it may seem, the more
likely disposal is put off and often forgotten.
   cups, cans, and bottles with liquids seem the most
commonly left items.
   make it easy to clean and more people will do it.

   it's generally not possible to identify who left
what lying around, and i'm guessing it's mostly "us"
who leave stuff around anyway (by "us" i mean the
good and thoughtful ones who don't want to leave our
drinks and half-eaten burritos around to attract rats).