[Noisebridge-discuss] Sex Unconference

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 21:58:40 UTC 2009

2009/10/26 Jeffrey Malone <ieatlint at tehinterweb.com>:
> I'll be sure to try and direct those who are new to the space
> and having trouble integrating your way. [...]
>
> I however will continue to only respect the opinions of those
> who have shown respect (in my opinion) to the organisation
> itself.

  It's certainly reasonable that you should be unwilling to
  place weight on the opinions of just anyone who shows up on
  the list and starts spouting off. I hope you don't feel I'm
  asking you to do that.

  It is quite another thing, though, to meet a newcomer's
  ridiculous remarks with hostility, vitriol or a half-hearted
  attempt to argue with them that turns into brow-beating and
  ostracism. The hostility and rank venting evident in so much
  recent discussion about Jason Damisch -- on the list, on the
  channel and in person -- is uncalled for. An obnoxious -- or
  simply misaligned -- newcomer is something we'll see over and
  over again; we can not allow our response to such an event to
  be so poisonous and draining.

  I really must reiterate the importance of *courtesy* and
  *kindness* even when we can't offer *weight* or *credence* to
  someone's remarks. As regards directing people toward the
  archives or simply discussing past deliberations and their
  outcome, I can not object to it; it is entirely compatible
  with a basic respect for one another.

--
Jason Dusek