[Noisebridge-discuss] CQ DE KJ6ANM

Mark Cohen markc at binaryfaith.com
Tue Oct 27 06:59:03 UTC 2009

There are lots of things to consider when you put up a repeater. For
example, here in the bay area, both 2m and 440 are very congested.
Take a look at The Northern Amateur Relay Council of California site  (narcc.org
) for info on what pairs might be available.

Obviously a 10W repeater would be easier to coordinate because it
would lack coverage.. But at the same time, you lack coverage so
people out in the avenues for example wouldn't be able to work the
repeater.

But to answer your question, you would need 2 radios, 2 antennas,
cavity filters, and a repeater controller. Repeaters can be as low as
$500 and work up to the tens of thousands for a full D-Star setup for
example.

If you simply want to have a regular net (I would LOVE to have a NB
net and would happily run net control for it.) there are lots of
repeaters in the area that cover the entire bay area. (SFARC, 145.170,
CARLA 442.075, 442.050, MDARC 147.060, etc) All you need to do is
contact the repeater owner and get permission. (Usually as long as
there isn't another net at that day/time its not a problem.. Repeater
owners WANT their systems being used.)

I've also been tossing around the idea of having a regular ham meetup
to discuss things like SDR, radio hacking and freebanding, and digital
modes. If I hear of some interest, I will put something together.

73, de K6EF