[Noisebridge-discuss] Be Excellent to one another

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 02:33:59 UTC 2009

In other news, today is a good day for people who are subject to
persecution.  A law was finally passed to include in hate crime protection,
protection from persecution for a variety of different minorities.  Quoting:
"We will finally add federal protections against crimes based on gender,
disability, gender identity or sexual orientation."  It would be better to
never need this legislation, but fact of the matter is it's necessary.

And I have to say that claiming persecution for being straight, white and
male only illustrates how little you understand of the severity of the
problem some people have experienced.  Has anyone ever been beaten to death
for no other reason than having that trait anywhere you have ever been?  To
even conceive of this is plumbing depths that most would actively avoid and
few care to tread.

So have a little patience with folks who might seem quick to complain about
issues.  Like a child that's been abused, its easy to flinch a little too
often when the raised hand so often translates to real pain.

Christie
---
Why I take the road less traveled?  Oh, that's easy.  I'm claustrophobic.