[Noisebridge-discuss] Be Excellent to one another

Miah Johnson miah at chia-pet.org
Thu Oct 29 16:23:27 UTC 2009

Ok Al,

Lets look at a few situations I face regularly.

If I go to the store, and make a purchase and the store clerk says
"thanks sir".

Do you think there was malice behind whats being said?
Do you think this affects me?

Having a discussion with a friend. This friend has only known me since
I've transitioned and knows I'm trans, but has never met the "male"
me. During this discussion, he says "miahs a great guy".

Do you think there was malice behind whats being said?
Do you think this affects me?

Now, you think I'm just playing victim here because I was trolling the
fuck out of the list. You are welcome to believe whatever you want and
to have whatever opinion you want. I cannot take that away from you. I
realize at this point that you may not have been trying to jab me in
the ribs. But considering what was going on, it did feel like an
attack to me. To me it was along the lines of "shut the fuck up tranny".

Ya, I may have overreacted, but try to understand my situation. I face
this shit daily, and I don't want to face it here. If I say "hey, what
you just said offends me, are you picking on me because I'm trans" I
mean it. I'm not going to play that card unless I mean it.

The answers to the questions above?

For the store clerk, I usually do feel like they are doing it on
purpose. Yes it affects me, when I'm having a bad week I will probably
feel quite down, I have definitely shed many tears over these issues.

For the friend, I don't usually feel they are doing it on purpose,
unless it happens multiple times. If it happens more than once I'll
generally say something. Either way, yes I notice it. Yes, I have shed
tears because of it.

Both situations feel like a huge set back to me. Questions like "what
was I doing to make them think 'male'?" or "do people just see me as a
huge fucking joke?" are going through my head at the time.

Do you think I want to be posting about this on the list? Do you think
I want people to even *know* I'm trans? I wish I could be totally
"stealth" about my situation, but I honestly feel it does no good for
the community, and I don't want to hide who I am, or my history.

Want another fun story?

On my birthday, after having a awesome lunch with some coworkers I was
riding the F line to the GLBT center to pickup my mail. A group of
kids sat near me and the train had many people but there were lots of
seats empty in other areas. One of the kids sits close to me and
starts saying "sir" while looking at me. He says this about 5 times,
each time saying it louder. I ignore him each time. Finally he stands
up, and steps in front of me. He says "Excuse me, are you male or
female?" I look at him, and his friends. I replied "I am female". All
of his friends have huge smiles on their faces and some are laughing.
One of them then comments "Its a dude". At which point all of them
start yelling "FAGGOT" at me. This continued for a few minutes, people
sat and stared. Nobody did anything. Nobody said anything. At the next
stop, they pushed the emergency exit button and left the train. Happy
Birthday to me!

http://twitter.com/miah_/status/3745084818

Yes, I remember each time I'm mis-gendered, I remember each time
somebody calls me a fag. My scar tissue is building up, but I'd rather
not have any. When you said "bro" to me, I could only think of all of
these things. Even if you have no malice, it forces me to think of all
this shit I have to deal with every day. None of you will ever truly
understand it, but please try.

-Miah