[Noisebridge-discuss] What a cool community..

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Sun Sep 6 19:28:32 UTC 2009

I've been aware of noisebridge for quite a while and came to the old
space twice. I *loved* it. But, I couldn't at that time even afford
the starving hacker's prices... I was also so busy trying to get work
and do contracts I didn't really have the time (but it is a pure joy
to just be there when I did get to visit).

I know Jim from BayPIGgies and he teaches a Python class there. He
told me I could be on the mailing list without being a member. I've
been watching the conversations the past few weeks. And, I am so
impressed with such a fun community. It's exactly where I want to be.

I am just *too* busy to do anything at all right now. But, I can
afford membership now. Is it okay that I become a paying member but
am not active in the community for at least a few months? It feels
like the perfect time to become part of this community since you're
moving into a new space.

I would *love* to set up a home/high school low-budget biology lab
like in this link:

http://www.science-projects.com/minimicro.htm

I even hear there are some biohackers here. I'd love to learn more..
My background is computer engineering and computer science. But, I'm
now working in bioinformatics and have a huge interest in filling the
gaps in things I don't know (I want to make my own stabs (from the
link), slants, and dishes.. pretty easy... I have a circuit that we
can make to do a pcr reaction that we could solder. And, I found
basic electrophoresis circuitry and recipes for a homemade gel. But,
this is academic only. Also, I don't know how to lys a cell and get
the dna molecule for pcr. If I could get past that step, we could do
our own genuine dna tests (comparative model, not sequencing)... But,
I'm probably dreaming too much)...

Anyhow, it seems this community is all about playing and hacking and
learning more things.  So, if you're interested in how to do very
basic bio labs (using items like ovens and hot-plates, for example),
take a look here:

http://www.science-projects.com/minimicro.htm

But, I'm "up to my eyes" for a while.. finishing work, taking a class
from my boss (lecturer at Berkeley), and trying to organize teaching
a Python class, I don't have an ounce of free time. So, pay for now,
play later?

Cheers,

Glen