[Noisebridge-discuss] wiki editing party report

Ani Niow v at oneletterwonder.com
Sun Sep 27 00:35:59 UTC 2009

Hey all. Yesterday evening a group of us took the wiki by storm, cleaned up
a bunch of pages, de-orphaned others, consolidated related ones and added a
few enhancements. Here's what we did and how you can help with the future
state of the wiki.
We nested together a few categories of pages that were related but not
connected in any way, such as Membership (
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Membership) which has been expanded to
include all things membership as evidenced by the table of contents on the
right. Membership benefits have also been updated as we have discussed
countless times about inconsistent policies on the wiki and in practice.

Leif added a feature that shows up on nested pages, such as Membership FAQ (
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Membership/FAQ) that links you back to the
main page right below the title. In order to activate this feature you need
to create a menu when you create/move a page. Things that are under
Membership/*** will link back to Membership.

In searching for things do do on the wiki I found this orphaned
Infrastructure page that described several resources available to the people
of Noisebridge, servers, shop areas, the darkroom, etc. I renamed it to
Resources (https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Resources) and updated all the
relevant info in pages that linked from it. There's a lot of stuff missing
especially given we just moved, that we're going to need help with
organising.

Out of date data since the move has mostly been updated, the Getting Here
page has been renamed simply Getting Here instead of Getting Here (2169).
Many things that mentioned 83c have been either moved to 83c specific pages
and labeled such or changed to 2169. We're going to need some help making
some new stuff but more on that below.

Several other people throughout the night were adopting pages, moving things
into categories and general organising of the wiki that needed to happen.
Liz, Jessie, and other people whose names I don't remember typed away and
took care of a lot of that.

Leif gave Rubin and myself wiki sysops so we can make other changes as
needed. If you feel that we need a feature or want some wiki-fu only admins
can do please let us know. Leif is planning on doing some upgrades to our
wiki to bring it more up to date with security patches, plugins, the whole
lot. Our current Mediawiki install is maintained by an Ubuntu LTS install on
our server which is outdated compared to the latest version. Upgrading it
will take some manual work which Leif has graciously offered to do in the
very near future. This will allow us to use plugins such as a REAL CALENDAR
( http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Calendar_(Kenyu73) ) that we've
been asking for since I don't remember when. No more Google calendar for us
very soon.

Rubin changed the logo to reflect our latest design and is planning on some
cosmetic upgrades. Coordinate with him if you'd like to be a part of that.

*Things You Can Do To Help*

We did several hours of work last night on the wiki but there's a lot of
stuff that needs to get taken care of. Here's a list of tasks the group as a
whole can do.

*The Space *(
https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=The_Space&redirect=no)

The original page has been moved to (https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/83C)
for obvious reasons and the title turned into a redirect to Getting Here.
This means we don't have a page describing our new space aside from on
Moving (https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Moving/2169_Mission). I'm planning
on going around and taking some photos of 2169 to help describe the space
and if others can start adding stuff to The Space page describing 2169 that
would be wonderful. You can start with...

*Resources *(https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Resources)

This page is orphaned because there is no page describing our new space yet
that this would link to. I'm sure this will be remedied over time as we get
2169 more how we want it. Until then I'm sure there are resources that are
not on that page and inaccurate information that can be fixed by people more
knowledgeable about the subjects than we were.

*FIXME*
*
*
Doing a search for "fixme" (
https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Special:Search&ns0=1&redirs=0&searchx=1&search=fixme&limit=500&offset=0)
gives you a list of pages that we have marked as needing updates by people
that are more in the know than we were. If you have better information than
what's there please update it. If you're browsing the wiki and you see
something that needs to get fixed but you don't know the proper information
add "fixme" close to where you see the error and tell someone about it.
Check the history and see who participated and ask them to update it.

*LULZ*

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Zombie_Apocalypse_Preparedness
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/DIY_lobotomy

Found a couple of these while we were editing away. Enjoy.

*It's a wiki!*

Remember all, it's a wiki! If you disagree with any changes that were made
or want to expand upon other things then go for it! You all probably stopped
reading several paragraphs ago in this long email but if you haven't thanks
for reading and please make suggestions or better yet, change things the
wiki itself if you feel there's anything to add.

-Ani