[Noisebridge-discuss] Thanks for hosting, kitchen warnings, and questions

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Sun Apr 4 20:09:29 UTC 2010

NB,

Thanks for hosting our event yesterday!  It went pretty well, we had 12
testers, found 3 new bugs, and trained several people who had never
tested an alpha before.  We also set up a 7-machine replication cluster.

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/database-soup/testfest-report-37850

Now, some questions for future events at NB:

(1) How does one move the power drops along the power rails?  Is there a
howto somewhere?

(2) Which wired ethernet drops are live?  We checked a couple of them
and neither connected with the internet.

(3) We could use some VGA cables to go with the projectors in the large
classroom.  Does anyone have any they can spare?

(4) We had a number of issues with the NB network.  Some people could
not connect to irc.freenode.net, and folks who wanted to test using VPN
to remote servers were not able to VPN out of NB at all (OpenVPN).  Is
there some way to get "regular" access to the internet via NB wireless
which isn't immediately apparent?

(5) What could we do to sort noise levels of various events?  In the
future, classroom teaching isn't going to mix well with metal-gear
grinding or DJ workshops in that space.  (wasn't a problem on saturday,
but I plan to teach some classes in the future where it will be)

Also, a warning to folks who want to do serious cooking at NB: the
magnetic induction stove is extremely fussy.  It won't accept any pot
which is "too large", and is sometimes impossible to turn off.  Its
lowest setting is still very hot for small pots.  If you're not used to
magnetic induction stoves, be prepared to use the portable electric
burner instead.

On the other hand, the commercial sink made cleaning up even after 12
people a breeze.  We contributed new sponges, soap and paper towels to
the store.  Thanks for getting the kitchen into shape before our event!
(I know you did it just for us ;-) ) I'll put some work into the kitchen
in the future to pay back.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus