[Noisebridge-discuss] Thanks for hosting, kitchen warnings, and questions

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Sun Apr 4 20:35:20 UTC 2010

Josh Berkus wrote, On 20100404 130929:
> (2) Which wired ethernet drops are live?  We checked a couple of them
> and neither connected with the internet.

Last  time I worked on the wired network, all drops should be live, and
for the most part labeled with at least a number related to where it is
in the patch panel inside the supply closet.

> (3) We could use some VGA cables to go with the projectors in the large
> classroom.  Does anyone have any they can spare?

I would recommend searching the hack shelf for such cables. Noisebridge
doesn't have a facilities manager or group and is also a complete
cluster fuck of creative people who have different notions of what
organization means, so there's no single reliable place for useful
objects to live when not in use.

> (4) We had a number of issues with the NB network.  Some people could
> not connect to irc.freenode.net, and folks who wanted to test using VPN
> to remote servers were not able to VPN out of NB at all (OpenVPN).  Is
> there some way to get "regular" access to the internet via NB wireless
> which isn't immediately apparent?

The general chatter I've heard around the water cooler has been that an
unknown party pissed off Freenode while being connected to the network
from Noisebridge. Freenoe is now blocking traffic to their servers from
our IP address. If you find this to be a problem, I would suggest kindly
asking Freenode to fix it on their end.

I've never had a problem with my OpenVPN setup at Noisebridge. I would
recommend asking the folks that did have some such problem to provide
steps with which they normally use to connect to their server and a copy
of their OpenVPN log to the Rack mailing list. Someone there could
possibly help you/them.

rack at lists.noisebridge.net

I'm having trouble parsing your last question? Regular access? Both
SSIDs noisebridge and noisebridge-a will toss you onto the general
internal network with a DHCP lease containing our general internet
gateway and DNS server. The gateway is NATed. At the moment we don't
have any formal way of handing out public IP address over the local
network for all to use.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net