[Noisebridge-discuss] Unconference about the future of journalism and online media

aestetix aestetix aestetix at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 02:10:10 UTC 2010

So, before anything else, I want to say that this is a fantastic looking
event, and I would love to see it happen at Noisebridge.

I do have some questions about the eventbrite page.

1. Having a "Free" ticket implies that you must pay for a ticket if they run
out. When I see the "late bird" listed with a price, I feel like I'm looking
at a ticket for sale, not a donation quantity.

2. Allowing someone to get a "ticket" online implies that they need a ticket
to attend the event. I'm sure that's not the case, but it makes me worry
that some people may decide against attending because they don't have a
ticket, or feel that because they don't have a ticket nor want to attend
your event, they need to avoid Noisebridge altogether.

3. There seems to be a "ticket fee" of $1.61 for the late bird tickets, and
$6.99 for the sponsor package. Does this mean that someone who wants to
support Noisebridge will also have to pay money to Eventbrite to process
their tickets? I'm ok with people donating to Noisebridge, but I'm not ok
with them being forced to give money to another place as well. It's like
shareware that makes you install comet cursor on your computer as well as
the app you want.

4. In my opinion, Noisebridge should never allow anyone to sponsor us. This
gets into an entire philosophy I'd rather duke out in person than on the
mailing list. If you ask someone to sponsor your event which takes places in
the venue of Noisebridge, people might have certain expectations which
Noisebridge might not meet, and that could get messy and confusing really
fast. What does sponsorship of your event entail, and what steps have you
taken to disambiguate it from Noisebridge?

I bring these issues up because in Leif's email, there were 10 sponsor
packages available, and now there are 9. Which means someone has gone
through, purchased a sponsorship package, and also paid money to Eventbrite.
Things should now be laid out very clearly to avoid any potential
miscommunication.

All that said, assuming we can figure this stuff out, I really look forward
to seeing this happen!

aestetix