[Noisebridge-discuss] Is there interest in an SMD practice electronics kit?

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Fri Aug 13 16:22:17 UTC 2010

Who all would be interested in an all-SMD electronics kit?  I've got a
design for all-SMD electronic dice that works, but it's got a few awkward
corners.  I'm not pushing it into production just yet, entirely because I'm
not certain there's a lot of interest in it.

The board's designed to include a bit of everything that's reasonable to
hand-solder, with a couple of slightly awkward (but totally doable) spots to
force a few lessons in working with SMD.  In particular, there's an SSOP16
chip at the heart of it, which is tricky to solder down.  This may be a
little ambitious, and I should probably swap it out for a SOIC16.

The other thing: since it's kinda specialized, I won't be able to sell many,
so I need to charge ~$20.  Is it worth that to you?  I prefer to keep my
kits as cheap as I can, entirely because I want them to be edumacational,
but I also need to at least break even on them.

Thanks for any feedback you may have (off- or on-list)!
--
Josh Myer 650.248.3796
 josh at joshisanerd.com