[Noisebridge-discuss] dealing with a troubled young lady? Discuss it on today's member meeting?

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 22:32:04 UTC 2010

If the police are involved and they take her off, they have a burden of
proof of something specific.  Police can make her leave our space, but they
can't take her anywhere if she's not "a danger to herself or others"
according to state law.  This is the reason there are so many crazy people
on the streets of San Francisco.

The logic follows that if they take her back, and she's not being a danger
to anyone around her, then they have to be able to back up their actions
with a reasonably solid assessment that she's a danger to herself.  After
all, her right to personal liberty is greater than any of society's views on
wellness and inappropriate behavior.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involuntary_commitment#United_States.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to deal with this, but I would like to
point out that by keeping her around the space, she's unable to get the
treatment it sounds like she needs.  Although I do understand there's a good
argument against the mental health business as to what "needs" really
entails and the merits of "treatment".  Nevertheless, if she was on
medication and she is no longer on that medication, her relation to reality
will continue to slide.  Is this something people are willing to take
responsibility for?

Christie
_______
"Would you rather be a lion in captivity and live 24 years, or in the wild
and live 10-14 years? Answer the question every morning then look at your
condition." -- Nassim N Taleb