[Noisebridge-discuss] Possible move to bay area.

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Thu Aug 12 20:41:21 UTC 2010

Also, I have taken CalTrain to MountainView on a monthly basis (without a
bicycle) and there are lots of transfers. It usually is about 3 hours with
all of the mess.

But, if you bicycle, you can put your bicycle on CalTrain and cut that down
considerably.

CalTrain between SF and MountainView is about an hour. So, there's two
 hours out of your day right there (unless you're really good at getting
work done on CalTrain -- there's power, but not really wireless).

You should also check out the HackerDojo mailing list (assuming they have
one), as they're in Mountain View.

Glen

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 1:32 PM, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:

>   if you live in sf proper, you can walk and bike
> to pretty much any{thing,where} you wish in the
> city, which means all types of entertainment,
> restaurants (similar variety as manhattan),
> groceries (farmers markets...), and other services.
>   if you live in sf proper, to get to work, you
> take the train, assuming there's an easy path from
> the train to your workplace and back (i.e.--verify
> evening and nighttime schedules for the train and
> any public transportation you'll need in your
> workplace locale).
>   if you live in mountain view or environs,
> you'll likely end up getting a car.
>

> On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 16:17 -0400, Matt Joyce wrote:
> > Hey noisebridge kids,
> >
> >   Not sure if this is really appropriate for the list, but I hope it
> > is.
> >
> >    I am Matt from NYC Resistor.  Due to a neat employment opportunity
> > I may very shortly find myself moving to the Bay Area.
> >
> > I was hoping to get some input from anyone willing to give it.
> >
> > I would be working in mountainview, and right now am looking at
> > possible neighborhoods to live in.  However there is a monkey in the
> > wrench...  as a loyal son of NYC, I do not own a car nor drive pretty
> > much ever.  So, it will take me time to rectify that.  Until then, I
> > would like to make use of public transport / bike options.
> >
> > Knowing virtually nothing of the area, I'd love to hear some
> > suggestions on where to live.  =D
> >
> > Or anything else anyone would like to shout out.
> >
> > Regards,
> >    Matt Joyce

Whatever you can do or imagine, begin it;
boldness has beauty, magic, and power in it.

-- Goethe