[Noisebridge-discuss] Possible move to bay area.

Rebecca Bellovin rmbellov at math.stanford.edu
Thu Aug 12 20:49:35 UTC 2010

I'm also an expatriate New Yorker (sort of - grew up in New Jersey, went
to college in New York, and never really learned to drive well).  I'm
theoretically capable of driving, but basically don't.  I lived in Palo
Alto/Menlo Park for 2 years (and just moved to San Francisco) without a
car, and got by with just a bike.  You'll probably need a car to set up a
household.  After that, buying groceries by bicycle takes some patience
but is doable, especially if you have baskets on your bike (the grocery
stores are bewilderingly large).  Or you could rent a zipcar once a month
or something to do major shopping trips.

On the other hand, I'm a grad student, so my lifestyle may not be what
you're looking for.

Rebecca