[Noisebridge-discuss] Is there interest in an SMD practice electronics kit?

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Fri Aug 13 18:56:52 UTC 2010

That's 1) awesome, 2) cute, and 3) limited practice.  The kit I'm
contemplating selling has lots of differently sized components, entirely to
have differently sized components.  I even considered using multiple
packages for the diodes, but decided the transistors were enough SOT
practice for most people.  It's totally intended as an SMD trainer kit,
starting at SOIC and 0805, then going down to SSOP and SOT.  And it's not
50x of the same thing, over and over, so hopefully it stays interesting =)

At the discretion of the toner transfer gods, I may or may not have a couple
demo units out for Monday's Circuit Hacking session.
--
/jbm

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM, d p fenn <weasel at meer.net> wrote:

> > So if there is a fun kit and maybe some guidance around to help me get
> > over my fears I would definitely be up for it!
>

> i'm not sure if it qualifies as fun, but i've seen people use this as a
> pretty good starter/intro.
>
>  http://www.jenrathbun.com/Electronics/?page_id=193
>
> the # of led bits give you a little practice w/ the tweezer technique (if
> just to get the orientation right).
>
> i would recommend fucking up a few things so that you can get a feel for
> how to undo mistakes. it is usually doable w/o screwing parts up (until
> you try to do things w/ huge pads to the ground plane), but getting used
> to the braid in the tweezers/etc takes a couple tries.
>
> \p

Josh Myer 650.248.3796
 josh at joshisanerd.com