[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge propaganda - a tri-folder flyer

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Tue Dec 21 21:34:05 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:00:12PM -0800, Patrick Keys wrote:
> Perhaps a simple and effective tri-fold flyer would be an effective
> piece of propaganda that visitors can take on their way out the door.

Amusingly, "propaganda" is specifically one of the things we're
prohibited from doing as a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization!

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/usc_sec_26_00000504----000-.html

Of course the kind of promotional and informational material you're
talking about isn't the "propaganda" that the legislators meant when
they passed that section of the code in the 1950s.

But, for avoidance of doubt, it's probably best to avoid using the word
"propaganda" in its modern sense when there are plenty of useful
alternatives.

-andy