[Noisebridge-discuss] [Noisebridge-announce] Noisebridge: Death and Taxes

- noisebridge at splattercast.com
Wed Dec 22 00:58:04 UTC 2010

Hi All,

Please consider reading and re-reading Patrick Keys' apparently-prescient note from Yesterday on the subject of Noisebridge (non)-management and money matters generally.

I've tried to belong. I want to. There is no entry vector other than sheer force and willpower.

This may work for some die-hards. I don't want to work that hard to fit in, and i think many others do not, either.

Anarchy is fun as long as someone else is paying the bills, but a little bit of order and organization can be extremely useful, at least in reducing the amount of thinking and re-thinking that seem to go on here.

I've had some exposure to the Hacker Dojo in Mountain View. It costs money to get in the door there. But it costs way less than most other comparable "spaces" and it's not run by some nasty corporate thingy. In exchange for that, the members seem to spend all or most of their time there, doing their own projects, not fussing about "managing" the place.

As an outsider (and now probably, outcast), it appears that noisebridge spends a lot of time managing noisebridge...

You want to kill that burn rate, make a few policies that stick, and create a coherent and actually-operating means of joining. I think i wrote my name on a piece of paper in a little binder three or more months ago... then what? I have no clue.

- jim