[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge-discuss Digest, Vol 38, Issue 22

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Dec 23 01:43:01 UTC 2010

On 12/22/2010 05:21 PM, - wrote:

> So, anyone can drop in. But really, it's non-joiners' fault for not "making friends."

It's not about joining up - it's about hacking. The best Noisebridge
experiences I've had about hacking have always resulted from actually
hacking with other people in the space. Some of the coolest projects at
Noisebridge have started on a table and the best way to hack on the
project is to walk up and engage the creator. It's how you become a
co-creator or how you find that you've just inherited a project because
the original creator wants to move to Thailand.

> The messages are just so inconsistent.
>
> I guess i'm more interested in stability of the space i'm in, than in spending lots of time fussing with it.
> Seems like there's a ton of energy spent deciding and re-deciding. That;s not stable.
> I mean, if you enjoy "running" the space, great. but the hype about noisebridge is something else.
> What am i waiting for? Clarity.

So don't worry about running anything and just hack?

> and you're throwing out strawman arguments all over the place. i  didn't suggest creating
> a high barrier to entry via an expensive monthly membership. So, please, be constructive.

I didn't see any strawman arguments.

> I have attempted to offer advice to answer the unanswered questions of insiders who seem
> baffled that outsiders remain on the outside. You don't like what you hear, i guess, but from
> my pov and talking with a couple of others, it's the truth. and i'm apparently not the only
> person on this list who feels this way

You said you've "tried to belong" - yet it appears that you didn't read
the form that you signed? That form explains the membership "process" -
as does the wiki and various mailing list threads. Why didn't you talk
to two members who have to sign the thing to vouch for you?

I mean - you gotta talk to people if you want to join a place that has a
social component. Otherwise, why do you want to join? Just show up and
hack - eventually someone will bug you to either sign up, or stop
napping. :-)

All the best,
Jake