[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge-discuss Digest, Vol 38, Issue 22

Sean Cusack sean.p.cusack at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 02:05:09 UTC 2010

I've gotta bump Rachel's comment. I'm also one of those dual techshop /
noisebridgers. TS there is no membership "process" per say. Walk in, pay
some dough, do some stuff.

For me personally, I don't dig the community at Techshop nearly as much as
Noisebridge (though I've still met a lot of amazingly awesome peeps there, I
wouldn't be able to sponsor a "tickle Sean's ass with a feathe" day over
there). However, I also don't mind having some occasional squabbles over how
to manage/run/exist in an anarchy. If you really don't want to deal with the
extra "stuff" in Noisebridge, consider some other options.

I'm not trying to kick you out or say you should leave at all...in fact, I'd
love you to stay. However, I am more concerned that each person on this
mailing list really likes what they are doing, how they live, and how they
spend their free time. I realize that in order to really accomplish that, it
may not be possible to do it with noisebridge.

Sean

On Dec 22, 2010 5:43 PM, "Jacob Appelbaum" <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:

On 12/22/2010 05:21 PM, - wrote:

> So, anyone can drop in. But really, it's non-joiners' fault fo...
It's not about joining up - it's about hacking. The best Noisebridge
experiences I've had about hacking have always resulted from actually
hacking with other people in the space. Some of the coolest projects at
Noisebridge have started on a table and the best way to hack on the
project is to walk up and engage the creator. It's how you become a
co-creator or how you find that you've just inherited a project because
the original creator wants to move to Thailand.

> The messages are just so inconsistent.
>
> I guess i'm more interested in stability of the sp...
So don't worry about running anything and just hack?

> and you're throwing out strawman arguments all over the place. i didn't
suggest creating
> a ...
I didn't see any strawman arguments.

> I have attempted to offer advice to answer the unanswered questions of
insiders who seem
> baffle...
You said you've "tried to belong" - yet it appears that you didn't read
the form that you signed? That form explains the membership "process" -
as does the wiki and various mailing list threads. Why didn't you talk
to two members who have to sign the thing to vouch for you?

I mean - you gotta talk to people if you want to join a place that has a
social component. Otherwise, why do you want to join? Just show up and
hack - eventually someone will bug you to either sign up, or stop
napping. :-)

All the best,
Jake